Note: all times and days/dates are Australian (Melbourne EST) time.
- 6.00am, 28 January 2022: Zoom Powerpoint Presentation to US Shed leaders conference, ‘Men’s Sheds around the world’, USMSA.
- 10.15 am, February 4 2022. Visit & informal presentation about Sheds around the World, Castlemaine Men’s Shed, Victoria.
- 18 February 2022. ‘ACH Sir Keith Wilson Oration’, to South Australian Association of Gerontology, Adelaide, South Australia: ‘The Shed Movement: Critical reflections on its origins and implications for older men & women in the community’.
- 6am, 1 March, 2022: facilitation of ‘World Shed Conversation’, by invitation though AMSA (Australia) & IMSA.
- 24 March, 10pm Melbourne time, Learning from Men’s Sheds: Reflecting on the movement’s Australian origins, global trajectories & radical implications for learning in the community’, Urban Rural Learning Initiatives, Learning Centre Network, PASCALE Group, International Zoom Seminar.
- 29-30 March 2022, ‘Men’s Sheds around the World: Reflecting on the movement’s origins, trajectories & implications for men & women in the community’, Keynote Presentation to Australian Men’s Shed Gathering, Commercial Club, Albury, NSW.
- April 2 & 3, 8am-10am: Creswick Heritage Interpretive Walk, Great Dividing Trail Association, as part of CresFest 2022.
- Sunday 1 May, 11.30am-12.30pm, Clunes BookTown 2022, Attitude Building, Panel: Drive: ‘Let’s all move to the regions! It’s more relaxed, people are friendly, living is affordable, and you can enjoy a creative lifestyle. Delve into the stories, the joys, the cliches and realities of what it means to be a man – queer or straight – in regional Australia’. With Dale Campisi and Brady Michaels (The Gents) and Dr Barry Golding, Shoulder to Shoulder: Broadening the Men’s Shed Movement). Chaired by Douglas Gellatly, Clunes author and podcaster.
- Sunday 1 May, 2.45-3.30pm, Clunes BookTown 2022, Courthouse, Presentation: Shoulder to Shoulder: Broadening the Men’s Shed Movement, in the company of men and women. Presented by Prof. Barry Golding.
- Sunday May 22, GDT Heritage Walk, Guildford to Strangways along the former railway line, in collaboration with Castlemaine Maryborough Rail Trail Inc.
- 6 July, Loddon River, Neereman 1840/41 Interpretive Aboriginal Protectorate Walk, Great Dividing Trail Association, during NAIDOC Week.
- 20 November, Mount Franklin 1841/49 Interpretive Aboriginal Protectorate Walk, Great Dividing Trail Association.
While some of the world reopened as vaccinations proceeded during 2021, there was again reluctance to schedule public events until things were safe enough for people to move. Some good news. Our 2020 online Reconciliation initiative was shortlisted as a finalist in the 2021 HART Reconciliation Awards in Victoria. On 4 June 2021 it was announced that Hepburn Shire Council came in second in the Local Government category, receiving the ‘Highly Commended Award’ for four short films that visit three significant sites in Dja Dja Wurrung Country. Well done all!
I was to deliver a Keynote Presentation to the South Australian Association of Gerontology Conference in Adelaide on 23 July 2021 but this fell over because of the SA COVID lockdown. (The same Conference and Program was rescheduled for Friday 18 February 2022).
Until COVID-safe events became possible in most parts of Australia in November 2021, events were online, including a keynote dinner presentation to the Men’s Sheds Association of British Columbia Conference (in Squamish, Canada) on 27 October and a Canadian-focussed presentation about ‘Men’s Sheds around the World’, coordinated through United Way and MSABC on 3 November 2021.
- Thursday 4 November 9pm-midnight (Melbourne time), Scottish Men’s Sheds Association (SMSA) AGM & Scottish Men’s Shed of the Year Awards, including presentations by Honorary Professor Barry Golding (talking about his new 2021 book), Sir Harry Burns (SMSA Patron) & Charles Wallace (Scottish Veterans’ Commissioner).
- 10 November 2021, 11am-12 midday: Launch of Shoulder to Shoulder: Broadening the Men’s Shed Movement book in Buninyong Men’s Shed, Victoria (by invitation, in order to keep below the 30 COVID safe attendance cap). Chaired by AMSA Chair, Paul Sladdin.
- 25 November 2021: ‘And now Women’s Sheds: Scoping the field internationally’, Barry Golding & Annette Foley, ‘The Beyond COVID-19 OctoberVET’, on line, 25 Nov 11am-12.30pm
Not much was possible face to face for much of the world after COVID-19 was acknowledged as a deadly pandemic. Australia was no exception. Most scheduled events and conferences during 2020 were cancelled. Our planned Hepburn Shire RAP AC Reconciliation Week 2020 initiative, ‘Peaks, Wetlands and Rivers’ tour was at short notice turned into three excellent short films posted on line. Sincere thanks to Donna Spiller, Uncle Ricky Nelson & Inga Hamilton and the Hepburn Shire.
- NAIDOC Week, 26 May 2019 ‘Reading the Country at Contact’ Tour, Hepburn Shire Reconciliation Action Plan Event.
- 11 June – 12 July: Holiday in Iran.
- 24 Sept 2019: Guest Speaker, AMSA ‘Shedders Big Day Out’, Safety Beach – Dromana Men’s Shed.
- 1 Oct 2019: ‘Beyond Contact’, presentation to Hepburn U3A AGM, Daylesford.
- 25 Oct 2019, ‘History of the Men’s Shed’, Twilight Talk, presentation to Ballaarat Mechanics Institute.
- 16-23 Nov 2019: Erratic Annual 2019 Victorian Alps Bike Ride (Tallarook, Yarck, Merrijig, King Valley, Bright, Falls Creek, Omeo, Bruthen, Bairnsdale).
- 7 Dec 2019, Opening speech, ‘Daylesford Highland Gathering’, Victoria.
Sri Lanka, 5 week holiday, June- July 2018
Sept 2017: 2 week Romanian Bike Ride.
12-18 Feb 2017: Learning in later life Exchange and Conferences, Ballarat & Melbourne – Australia, Wellington – New Zealand, ALA, ACE Aotearoa & Federation University Australia
5 May 2017: AMSA Men’s Shed Expo, Hoppers Crossing, Victoria
5-9 June 2017: Anshan Normal University, Liaoning Province, China.
2-18 Sept 2017: Bike Ride Tour, Romania, ex Bucharest including Maramures.
18-25 Nov 2017: Annual Australian Cycling Adventure, Deloraine to Hobart, Tasmania via West Coast.
April 2016: Reconnaissance and Interviews for ‘Rural Sporting Chance’ research in Victoria (through Tertiary Tracks with Dr Maryann Brown for Helen Macpherson Rural Foundation, Creswick, with sites in Dunolly, Casterton, Terang, Kyabram & Warracknabeal. Plain Language Statement
May 2016: Reconnaissance and Interviews for Research Evaluation of Alesco-type alternative senior colleges in ACE settings in regional New South Wales (through Tertiary Tracks and WEA Hunter, with sites in Newcastle, Wollongong, Dubbo, Bathurst, Albury Wodonga) AlescoPLSNewcastleFinal11April
14-16 June 2016: ACE Aotearoa Conference, Wellington, New Zealand.
13-14 Oct, University of Glasgow, Scotland
LISTEN: Are you a Glasgow ‘Shedder’? (Web)
Clyde2.com – 13/10/2016
BBC 2 Scotland – 13 October 2016 – 22:49:32
Scotland Tonight, BBC 2 Scotland – 13/10/2016 22:49:32
Report on the “Men’s Sheds” movement which held an international meeting at Glasgow University today.
BBC Radio Scotland – 13 October 2016 – 08:48:34
BBC Radio Scotland – 13/10/2016 08:48:34
The Men’s Shed movement will be the focus of a debate at Glasgow University today.
15-18 Oct, Kerry, Ireland
21-23 October 2016: Irish Men’s Sheds Association Conference, Belfast.
Kingston (home) summer garden pick, Dec 23 2015
2015 (listed chronologically)
16 January 2015, Launch of Sally Miller’s Antropomorphism Exhibition at Ballarat Fine Art Gallery.
10 June 2015, start of Adjunct Professor position, Federation University Australia (to June 2018)
15 May 2015, Presentation, VALBEC Conference, Melbourne.
18 May 2015, ‘Adults Returning to Learning’ & Men’s Shed Forum, Nintirri Centre, Tom Price, Western Australia.
15 June 2015, Men’s Shed Forum, Henley Men’s Shed, Masterton, New Zealand.
16-18 June 2015, ACE Aotearoa Conference, Wellington, New Zealand
3 July 2015, Victorian Men’s Shed Gathering, Glen Waverley, Victoria.
12 August 2015, 5.30-7.30pm: Australian Association of Gerontology 2015 ‘Hot Topic’, ‘Mental Health and Ageing’, Kew, Victoria.
31 August 2015, Launch of Stage 3, Gisborne Men’s Shed, Victoria
8 September 2015, Men’s Learning and Men’s Shed Seminar, University of Stockholm (organised by Prof Camilla Thunberg & Prof Agnieszka Bron,
10-11 Sept 2014, Visiting Professor, Jonkoping University, Sweden.
Monday September 14, 2015, Men’s Shed Forum, Shed I Malmö, Sweden.
15 September 2015, Danish Men’s Sheds Network, including Stevns Maens Modesteder, Men’s Shed Forum, Denmark.
10 October, 2015, ESREA Gender and Adult Learning Research Network Conference, Belgrade, Serbia.
14 October: ESREA Older Learners Network, University of Jonkoping, Sweden, Men’s Shed Movement book introduced by Dr Sabina Krasovek, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
17-20 October 2015: Australian Men’s Shed Association Conference, Newcastle, Australia, including Tuesday 20 Oct Australian launch of The Men’s Shed Movement Book and Two Smoking guns presentation.
Europe 2015 (six week) diary europe2015diary
Wed 28 October, 11am: Launch of Beechworth Men’s Shed, Victoria.
Friday 30 October, Celebration of The Shed. Forum of South Australian Mens Sheds, Goolwa, South Australia. SAMSA & AMSA hosted by Alexandrina Council for Positive Ageing at Signal Point, including well known shed author Mark Thomson and SA Launch of Prof Barry Golding’s Men’s Shed Movement book. Also input by David Helmers, AMSA, and John Evoy, Founding CEO, IMSA, Ireland. Special guest Maxine Kitto-Chaseling and presentations by seven participating Men’s Sheds.
16 November 2015, 1pm: ‘Bringing it all back home‘, Public and Victorian launch of ‘The Men’s Shed Movement’ book, Tongala Men’s Shed, Tongala, Victoria, by Dr Sharman Stone, Federal Member for Murray. MC Paul Sladdin. Event supported by Tongala Aged Care Centre) Jean Courtney), Victorian Men’s Sheds Association (Phil Keily, Ric Blackburn & Paul Sladdin), Australian Men’s Shed Association (David Helmers) and Federation University Australia. Guest of Honour, Ruth McGowan. All welcome.
Friday 6 November, Seniors in Focus, NSW Public Library Services 2015, Sydney.
Monday 9 November, Men’s Health interview with Catherine Barrett, 10.15am
Monday 9 Nov, 1.40pm, interview with Dave O’Neill, ABC Radio 774 Melbourne.
Tuesday 10 Nov, Castlemaine Men’s Shed Gathering, Botanical Gardens from 10am, including brief talk by Barry Golding at 10.30am.
Thursday 12 Nov ‘Dads On The Air’ radio interview about The Men’s Shed Movement: The Company of Men book with Bill Kable and Ken Thompson. The program will go to air on the Community Radio Network around Australia as part of the lead up to International Men’s Day on 19 November. It will also appear on their website http://www.dadsontheair.com.au during the day: this is the easiest place to access it.
Sunday 15 November, 3:30 pm, Newstead Rocket Science event,
Newstead Mens Shed, 6 Lyons St, Newstead, Men’s Shedism! conversation with Barry Golding and Barry Lacey.
Monday 16 Nov 1.00-3.30pm, Celebration of the Dick McGowan (World’s first) Men’s Shed, Tongala Memorial Aged Care Service and Victorian book launch, by Hon Dr Sharman Stone, MP.
Friday 19 November Launch of ‘The Role of Men’s Sheds in Improving Men’s Health in Brimbank’, Community Discussion Paper, Sunshine, Victoria.
21-28 November 2015, ‘Border Loop’ annual Bicycle Tour, Gold Coast Hinterland, Northern NSW & SW Queensland, including Springbrook National Park, Mt Warning, Nimbin, Kyogle, Mt Barney, Beaudesert, Lamington Plateau.
30 Nov 2015, 9am-4pm, PASCAL Workshop on Seniors as Lifelong Learners, RMIT Melbourne. ‘Key issues and current good practice’: Prof Philip Taylor, Director of Research, National Seniors Australia: Karyn Siegmann, Manager Libraries, Bayside City & Barry Golding.
Ageing and Learning seminar at University of Lancaster, England 20 Feb 2014
Book launches in Glasgow (Scotland) 21 Feb, Dublin 24 Feb & Belfast (Ireland) 27 Feb 2014
Men’s Shed gatherings in Glasgow 21 Feb, 4pm and Dublin 24 Feb 2014 (IMSA)
Work Diary for 2014 Europe trip europe2014diary
23 April 2014, Australian book Launch, Federation University Australia, Ballarat 5pm PO Gallery, corner Sturt & Lydiard Streets
April 24 2014, Intergenerational learning seminar, Brotherhood of St Laurence, Brunswick 1.00pm, with Book Launch at 4.45pm
October/ early Nov 2014
22-24 Oct 2014, ESREA (European Society for Research into the Education of Adults) ELOA (Education and Learning for Older Adults) Conference in Valetta, Malta
27 Oct 2014, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
28 Oct 2014, Slovenian Institute of Adult Education, Ljubljana, Slovenia
29-31 Oct 2014, Self Learning Conference in Strasbourg, France
3 Nov 2014, Research Meetings in Dublin, Ireland
5 Nov 2014, Irish Men’s Sheds Association Kerry Shed Network Forum, Killarney, ireland
6 Nov 2014, Kilorglin Men’s Shed, Kerry, Ireland
7-8 Nov 2014, Aging and Society Conference, Manchester, UK
25 Nov 2014, National Institute of Lifelong Education, Seoul, South Korea
26-27 Nov 2014, National Institute of the Korean Language, NIKL, International Language and Literacy Conference, Seoul
Wye River, Great Ocean Road, May 2015
Lake Vasa, Jonkoping, Sweden, Sept 20152013
16 & 17 April Launch of ALA Book Lifelong and lifewide in Melbourne (CAE) and Sydney (Sydney Community College)
18-20 June, ACE Aotearoa and ALA Joint Annual Conference, Wellington, New Zealand
Mid Oct-Nov 2013
- 10-12 Oct, ESREA Research Network on Gender and Adult Learning, Coimbra, Portugal
- 24 Oct, Ballarat RAVE OctoberVET
- 27-29 Oct, Australian Men’s Sheds Association Conference, Ballarat, Victoria
- 30 Oct, International Men’s Shed Crawl, (five sheds in Ballarat & Geelong regions) plus 31 Oct, Men’s learning and wellbeing international forum, Ballarat
- 3-8 November, AAACE Conference, Lexington, Virginia USA
2011 Outside Studies Program (OSP) osp11diary